Thursday, August 28, 2008

When good writing motivates.

Being a jaded and cynical person when it comes to belief in the political system. Being a person that has given up on the concept of a politician understanding the themes of a lower class life, I have to say, I am in AWE of Obama. Living in a first world country where up until now the only presidents have been White Men when third world countries across the globe have already made that step beyond color and gender, I had in all honesty lost hope. Don't get me wrong I've always believed that the only change you can expect is the kind you fight for; I just didn't believe that for my generation there would ever be a candidate that could motivate the masses with his grasp of truth and his eloquence with words. Having grown up in high schools where teachers and students called me an idealist living in the clouds, I CAN'T get my brain to wrap around the idea that what I just heard was something that was really happening. GOD, how many times have I listened to boring want-to-punch-myself-in-the-face speeches that candidates obviously did NOT write or understand. How many times have I thought, 'Really? This is our president? This the best he can do after years in the best schools imaginable?' As a writer listening to Obama, I have NEVER, in my life time, heard something as high wired in eloquence and poetics. Something that had perfect pacing as he spoke, something that he obviously felt connected to with such a strength that it reeled us in by a simple rise in tone or look into the camera.


In a country where White politicians have been murdered for their voices of optimism and their potential for change, I can't help but feel terrified when I watch Barack up there. A man as smart as he is, a man that knows the undeniable truths of prejudice and hatred, has to be more than fully aware of the threats that can (and probably do) encompass his life. This is a man of intelligence and a man of courage. Who for the first time in my life has managed to make me feel motivated by what I know is worth getting interested in, by the play of his words and the power presence. I can only agree that 'In defining moments like these, the change we need doesn't come from Washington, the change we need comes TO Washington.

'

It might've taken us a while to get here but I'm hoping (with a little cynicism still left over) that this is what we have been waiting for and that as often as we've been let down maybe.. Yes, maybe it'll work out for the best.


Mucho amor Y paz,
Jenine.

No comments: